To measure the effectiveness of our Chair Based Dance Sessions, for all participating individuals, we sent out a range of questionnaires. Out of 50 care homes that were randomly picked to partake in the survey, a total of 40 completed questionnaires were returned.
The questions were based on the impact of our sessions on:
- non partaking staff members who happened to be present during the sessions
- family members opinions, who happened to be visiting during the delivery of the sessions
- the participants themselves- through the observation of staff members in charge
- the instructors/staff members delivering the sessions
For the purpose of quantifying the evidence results, 100% is equivalent to the 40 completed and returned care home questionnaires.
Listed below are the questions asked- followed by the results:
Questions for generic staff members who are not involved with activities but are present in the space:
- Do you feel happier when you witness the sessions taking place? YES or NO
- If you were not engaged with other duties would you join your participants? YES or NO
- Do you find the atmosphere is uplifted when the sessions take place? YES or NO
- Do the participants appear more awake when the sessions take place? YES or NO
Out of the 40 non-session partaking care home staff, all 40 responded YES to the above questions= 100% agreed that our Chair Based dance sessions make them feel happier, the atmosphere is uplifted as result of our sessions and the participants appear more awake during our sessions. In addition all 40 staff members would join in with the sessions if not engaged with other responsibilities.
Questions for activities co-ordinators/ staff who engage with /deliver the sessions:
- Do your Residents enjoy the chair based dance sessions? YES or NO
- Do you notice a positive change in their mood /energy levels during the session? YES or NO
- Do you notice a positive change in their mood /energy levels after the session? YES or NO
- Do you notice any physical improvements during/after the sessions? YES or NO
- If budgets were not an issue, would you like the sessions to take place more regularly? YES or NO
- Please rate out of 10 (10= highly beneficial) how beneficial do you find the sessions for your residents overall well-being?
- Would you recommend the sessions to other settings? YES or NO
- Do you find the Residents enjoy the music ? YES or NO
- Do you find the props engaging for your Residents? YES or NO
- Have you received any positive feedback from your Residents family members? YES or NO
- Do you believe that the sessions would have a positive effect on your CQC reports? YES or NO
- How do the sessions make you feel?
- Out of the 40 care home staff /activities co-ordinators who actively engage in the delivery of the Chair Based Dance sessions, all 40 answered YES to questions numbered 1-3= 100% agreed that our Chair Based Dance sessions are enjoyed by their Residents and 100% noticed an improvement in the Residents mood/energy levels during and after the Chair Based Dance Sessions.
- In the answer to question 4- 97.5% of staff noticed physical improvements during/after the sessions.
- All 40 answered YES to question 5= 100% would want the sessions to take place more regularly if no budgeting issues.
- On question 6=80% scored the sessions a 10 on the overall well-being they have on their Residents.
- On questions 7-9 -100% responded that they would recommend our sessions to other care homes and 100% also responded that their Residents enjoy the music and the props being used are found to be engaging for their Residents.
- On question 10- 95% responded that they have received positive feedback from family members as a result of our sessions.
- On question 11- 100% responded that our sessions would have a positive effect on their CQC reports.
- We received a variety of responses to question 12- regards to how the sessions made the individual staff engaged in the delivery of the sessions feel – 100% of the responses were positive. Below are some direct quotes :
‘Uplifted’– Epworth Grange-MHA
‘Uplifted, positive , engaged’ – Westwood Lodge-HC-One
‘It makes everyone happy-staff, family, residents-everyone joins in!’– Grafton Lodge
‘They brighten up the day and make me feel happy that I’ve done some exercise and that the residents have had a nice time’– Anonymous
‘Very enjoyable for both Residents and staff’ -Manorhey -MMCG
‘All enjoy, makes me feel good’ – Laurel Court-MHA
‘It is a fun relaxed way to get the residents moving and singing! It is not as serious as some other arm chair exercises as yours are fun and more social!’– Newlands Care Home –HC-One.